spanish
Goto Top

FritzBox reset disable

Hi all,

ist it possible to disable the reset possibilities like "Passwort vergessen" or using a telephone on analog port1 or the builtin DECT and the keypad function? A customer of mine is exptecting exactly this because he wants to keep renting out his house to tourists. So far he had his FritzBox (7490) reset 4 times before the people moved out and of course they complained that they had no internet even though it was part of the contract. Wireless is a must and he is already using a "Gast Netztwerk". His thought now is that it must be possible to disable the LAN ports (besides using sikaflex or desoldering them from the mainboard). What options are possible? No, the FritzBox will and can not be put in a safe or a hidden place or locked away. Additional access points are a no go and it must possible to reset the box using a LAN port at any time if he wishes to do so, but guests are not allowed to.

Any options available?

Regards

Content-Key: 312456

Url: https://administrator.de/contentid/312456

Printed on: April 23, 2024 at 13:04 o'clock

Member: Lochkartenstanzer
Lochkartenstanzer Aug 12, 2016 updated at 07:57:26 (UTC)
Goto Top
Zitat von @Spanish:

Any options available?

Moin,

Just use regular Access Points and and a voucher system like the one, that @aqui drescribes in WLAN oder LAN Gastnetz einrichten mit einem Captive Portal (Hotspot Funktion).

lks

PS: And lock that fritzbox in a wooden box, so the guest have no access to it.
Member: Spanish
Spanish Aug 12, 2016 at 08:23:11 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi,

Zitat von @Lochkartenstanzer:
Just use regular Access Points and and a voucher system like the one, that @aqui drescribes in
Ah very nicely done and looks very interesting but the landlord just told me that he will not buy or use additional / extra equipment. He says he has tried so many options in the last 2 years and spent nearly 2 K on all types of hardware and every time it was possible to reset his equipment. He is now demanding a solution.

PS: And lock that fritzbox in a wooden box, so the guest have no access to it.
No option at all. No place to safely store or hide and prohibit access and he is not willing to buy a safe or safety cabinet and travel 500 km every time his equipment has been reset and therefor not manageable through the internet and nobodoy can access the router locally.

Regards
Member: michi1983
michi1983 Aug 12, 2016 updated at 08:30:13 (UTC)
Goto Top
Zitat von @Spanish:

Hi,

Just use regular Access Points and and a voucher system like the one, that @aqui drescribes in
Ah very nicely done and looks very interesting but the landlord just told me that he will not buy or use additional / extra equipment. He says he has tried so many options in the last 2 years and spent nearly 2 K on all types of hardware and every time it was possible to reset his equipment. He is now demanding a solution.
Stop renting the house is the only solution then.
Solution Lochkartenstanzer Aug 12, 2016 at 08:33:44 (UTC)
Goto Top
Zitat von @Spanish:

He is now demanding a solution.

And i'm demanding, that some give me a million bucks. face-smile

Just get a microtik hAP an lock this thing in a box, so that noone can press the reset button. If you set an adequate password, noone will reset that box to default settings.

lks
Spanish Aug 12, 2016 at 08:36:39 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi,

Zitat von @michi1983:
I think this was my second sentence I said to him after saying G'Day face-smile

Regards
Lochkartenstanzer Aug 12, 2016 at 08:37:02 (UTC)
Goto Top
Zitat von @michi1983:

I would rather suggest to let the flat without internet access. face-smile

lks
michi1983 Aug 12, 2016 at 08:38:12 (UTC)
Goto Top
From a financial point of view this might of course be the better solution, kudos face-wink
Spanish Aug 12, 2016 at 08:42:24 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi,

And i'm demanding, that somegive me a million bucks. face-smile
Like everyone else on this planet face-smile

Just get a microtik hAP an lock this thing in a box, so that noone can press the reset button. If you set an adequate password, noone will reset that box to default settings.
You mean that unlike the FritzBox without knowledge of the pw you can not just say "Passwort vergessen" and click reset to defaults after you pull the power cord and logging into the box again within 5 minutes after restart? The resetbutton can be disabled or even scraped from the mikrotik board?

I will pass on as a possible solution.

Regards
Spanish Aug 12, 2016 at 08:46:24 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi,

Neither option. He insists on internet and renting out. He says if we can fly to the moon and the FritzBox is declared as the worlds best home use router, then this should not be a problem that cannot be solved. face-sad

Regards
Lochkartenstanzer Aug 12, 2016 at 08:49:21 (UTC)
Goto Top
Zitat von @Spanish:

You mean that unlike the FritzBox without knowledge of the pw you can not just say "Passwort vergessen" and klick reset to defaults afer you pull he power cord and logging into the box again within 5 minutes after restart? The resetbutton can be disabled or even scraped from the mikrotik board?

On Mikrotiks, iirc, you van only reset the box via GUI to factory settings, if you know the admin password. Otherwise you hav to press the reset button. which can be disabled either by using som hot glue or just disabling phyical access to the box.

Or you use just an acccess point, which allows Internet acces in its default config, when you just hook it up to a router on an Ethernet line. So the router has not to be physically accessible.

lks
Lochkartenstanzer Aug 12, 2016 at 08:50:28 (UTC)
Goto Top
Zitat von @Spanish:

the FritzBox is declared as the worlds best home use router, ...

You should poitn out the home use. face-smile

lks
Spanish Aug 12, 2016 at 09:04:49 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi,

On Mikrotiks, iirc, you van only reset the box via GUI to factory settings, if you know the admin password.
Otherwise you hav to press the reset button. which can be disabled either by using som hot glue or just disabling phyical access to the box.
OK. That part sounds good.

Or you use just an acccess point, which allows Internet acces in its default config, when you just hook it up to a router on an Ethernet line. So the router has not to be physically accessible.
Do you know of any access point that behaves this way?

But additional access point - he is not excited nor really willing to accept - he just answered in a mail. He also questioned the phone topic and guest network settings and that this mikrotik would then replace the FritzBox then so that only one piece of equipment is required - not 2 or 3... His FritzBox is running smoothly and does everything to his satisfaction - except that it can be very simply reset without knowledge of the password on LAN 1-3 or Wireless or analog phone on port1 or DECT phones. He just wants this reset possibilty taken away...

Regards
michi1983 Aug 12, 2016 at 09:07:32 (UTC)
Goto Top
Zitat von @Spanish:
But additional access point - he is not excited nor really willing to accept - he just answered in a mail. He also questioned the phone topic and guest network settings and that this mikrotik would then replace the FritzBox then so that only one piece of equipment is required - not 2 or 3... His FritzBox is running smoothly and does everything to his satisfaction - except that it can be very simply reset without knowledge of the password on LAN 1-3 or Wireless or analog phone on port1 or DECT phones. He just wants this reset possibilty taken away...
I really have a hard time to believe or acknowledge that there is not one single room where he can lock up the FritzBox?!
Lochkartenstanzer Aug 12, 2016 at 09:08:52 (UTC)
Goto Top
o.k. lets reconsider the situation:

• he needs phones?
  • he needs internet (LAN/WLAN)?

What kind of line does he have for internet and phone connection? POTS, DSL, Fiber, VOIP, etc?

Does he need the Fritzbox for DSl oder for VOIP?

lks
Spanish Aug 12, 2016 at 09:16:50 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi,

You should poitn out the home use. face-smile
Exactly what I told him. Answer was "I am renting out my home(s) to tourists occasionally - therefor "Home use ist what I need and want, therefor the FritzBox fits exactly"" He even spoke with the manufacturer before he decided to buy the "FritzBox".

Regards
Spanish Aug 12, 2016 at 09:29:54 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi,

Zitat von @michi1983:
I really have a hard time to believe or acknowledge that there is not one single room where he can lock up the FritzBox?!
According to him (I have not been to the place) there is no place to lock up or hide the equipment. Everything is always accessible and open. Not even a medice cabinet which can be locked exists - he does not rent out to families with small kids. Everything is always open. He is saying that if you loose the key you will have to break in which again leads to heavy costs for repir or new.

Regards
Lochkartenstanzer Aug 12, 2016 at 09:34:56 (UTC)
Goto Top
Zitat von @Spanish:

Everything is always open. He is saying that if you loose the key you will have to break in which again leads to heavy costs for repir or new.

There are not many burglars there, aren't it? Ist that in Spain or in Germany? How do the guests deal with that?

lks
Spanish Aug 12, 2016 at 09:39:56 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi,

• he needs phones?
Preferrable DECT handsets connected to the FritzBox (3 handsets)
No analog/isdn port is being used - but should be kept available
* he needs internet (LAN/WLAN)?
yes, both. And he himself will not use the so called "Gast Netz", but some of his friends are allowed to use his Wireless without "Gast Netz". They also have to be prohibited tu reset using "Passwort Vergessen".

What kind of line does he have for internet and phone connection? POTS, DSL, Fiber, VOIP, etc?
I believe he has a so called aDSL with DL of max. 16 MBit/s

Does he need the Fritzbox for DSl oder for VOIP?
According to him he has 1 phone line (Analog) and 3 numbers assigned in the "FritzBox". VOIP . no idea if he has.

No, he does not want to nor is willing to deactivate/disable the DECT phones when he rents out. Everything stays as it is - just rented out. And everytime his "FritzBox" was rested by a guest, hi started action with his laywer to sue the tourists.

Regards
Spanish Aug 12, 2016 at 09:41:53 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi,

There are not many burglars there, aren't it?
No idea.

Ist that in Spain or in Germany? How do the guests deal with that?
In this case it is in Bielefed, Germany. Spain and I think also (not sure) some homes in Australia to follow...

Regards
Solution Lochkartenstanzer Aug 12, 2016 at 10:39:07 (UTC)
Goto Top
¡Hola

another possible solution:

Just freetz that box and change the scipt for resetting the settings.

lks
Spanish Aug 12, 2016 at 12:47:31 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi,

Just freetz that box and change the scipt for resetting the settings.
I'll offer him this as a solution and wait what he says. I don't see any other option myself. I'll get back.

Regards
Member: KowaKowalski
Solution KowaKowalski Aug 12, 2016 updated at 23:16:21 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi Spanish,

RJ45 Port-Schloss is the thing.
portschloss

grüße
kowa
Spanish Aug 13, 2016 at 10:09:39 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi,

Zitat von @KowaKowalski:
RJ45 Port-Schloss is the thing.
Woh! That solves the LAN port 1-3 option which are not a guest LAN. Even the phone ports (analog and isdn) can be closed.
Thanks a lot. I'll pass on.

Regards
Spanish Aug 17, 2016 at 17:56:52 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi all,

after talking and writing with the landlord he nas now deiced that:
- no use of phones attached directly to the FritzBox - neither per analog / ISDN / DECT / IP.
- LAN Ports 1-3 will be secured (and I think he means hot glue face-smile after seeing what they cost at a lindys USD 25 for a pack of 10)
- the tourists / renters will have access thru the guest netword only, no restrictions on outgoing traffic.

So now I can say problem solved face-smile

Thanks to all
Lochkartenstanzer Aug 17, 2016 at 19:32:02 (UTC)
Goto Top
Zitat von @Spanish:

So now I can say problem solved face-smile

Did you tell him, tha the rentes can simply reset tthat box bei running the AVM Tool, that does reinstall the firmware?

lks
Spanish Aug 28, 2018 at 20:20:36 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi,

Did you tell him, tha the rentes can simply reset tthat box bei running the AVM Tool, that does reinstall the firmware?
Problem is now solved since the Customer went broke and even the Fritzbox does no longer exist. Thanks to all.

Regards.