virustrinity
Goto Top

How to setup share and NTFS permissions to allow folder listing only but with full access to a specific folder?

I want to grant User X full access permissions to a specific folder on a network share.

The structure is as follows:
Server
  Drive C
    Folder Shared -> this is a hidden share and accessible via \\Server\Shared$
      Folder A
        Folder B
          File 1
        Folder C
          Folder D  -> User X needs full access permissions here

The requirements are

1. Shared$ should be read only
2. User X should be able to navigate in the folder structure
3. User X should have full permissions to files and folders in Folder D
4. other files like File 1 should not be visible / readable / executable

What would be the correct setup of share and NTFS permissions to meet these requirements?

Content-Key: 295787

Url: https://administrator.de/contentid/295787

Printed on: April 18, 2024 at 22:04 o'clock

Mitglied: 114757
Solution 114757 Feb 11, 2016, updated at Feb 17, 2016 at 15:16:35 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi.
Zitat von @ViRuSTriNiTy:
The requirements are

1. Shared$ should be read only
The share-permissions must be at minimum Change or FullAccess for UserX or a group he is in, otherwise UserX will never be able to change anything, also in the folder he has FullAccess in the ACLs.

2. User X should be able to navigate in the folder structure
In the ACLs assign him or better a group list and read access to the root of the tree and Subfolders (In the propagation field choose that this right is only inherited to folders and Subfolders, not files)
3. User X should have full permissions to files and folders in Folder D
Assign him or better a group full Access to Folder D (Subfolders and Files)
4. other files like File 1 should not be visible / readable / executable
Now enable Access Based Enumeration for the share, and he can navigate to his Folder but cannot see files until he reaches Folder D.

But always remember that it is always best Practise to assign rights to groups an not to single Users, otherwise you will end up in chaos soon. So best practice is to follow AGDLP-Principle.

Regards,
jodel32
Member: ViRuSTriNiTy
ViRuSTriNiTy Feb 17, 2016 updated at 09:26:16 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi jodel32,

thank you for your effort but that's exactly what i have tried already except step 4, ABE is new to me.

I tried following your instructions step by step but as soon as a user has Change or FullAccess to Shared$ the user can do whatever he / she wants, e.g. create files. Then i had the idea to deny the Change permissions on ACL level but then i can't re-enable these permissions for Folder D.

Would you mind to take some screenshots to depict each of your instructions? Perhaps i misunderstand something here.

edit

nah i got it, will post the solution later for documentation purposes.
Solution 114757 Feb 17, 2016, updated at Feb 18, 2016 at 08:40:28 (UTC)
Goto Top
You need to tweek the permissions on the NTFS-ACL side:

So here my example step by step: (sorry for the screenshots in german face-wink, but you should be able to reproduce it)

f8fab53e19e24831f7ffd694ac9927db

back-to-topSharefolder: C:\TESTSHARE has the following permissions (inheritance from top is disabled), users have only Read-Access to folders and subfolders but not files:

5b466d0277a361d681f67e1a3818502d

back-to-topIn Folder D add a group wich has full access on subfolders and files in wich your user is a member.

d18f047a50e551889f6dbef65a568f67

back-to-topNow enable Access Based Enumeration on the share

c792c66ba495a1499ff355724c446214

Finished.The user can navigate to his folder but does not see any files in the folders, until he accesses Folder D. Works as designed face-smile

With ABE enabled the users can only see the Items, they have access rights for.

Regards
jodel32
ViRuSTriNiTy Feb 17, 2016 at 11:20:25 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi jodel32,

thx again for your effort, i also have created a document which describes my setup, it's similar to your screenshots. How do i add an attachment here? I don't have any options other than writing some text ?!?

Here is another issue related to this topic. Something is not right with the permissions when User X creates a document (lets say File 2.txt) in Folder D as i cannot access these elements fully as administrator. With fully i mean that i get strange cannot assign permissions dialogs or the following console output when running

Accesschk "User X" C:\Shared -s

R   C:\Shared\Folder A
R   C:\Shared\Folder A\Folder B
R   C:\Shared\Folder A\Folder C
    C:\Shared\Folder A\Folder B\File 1.txt
RW  C:\Shared\Folder A\Folder C\Folder D
C:\Shared\Folder A\Folder C\Folder D\File 2.txt
  Error getting security:
  Access denied

What is causing this?
Solution 114757 Feb 17, 2016 updated at 15:16:29 (UTC)
Goto Top
What is causing this?
This can be caused when you disable inheritance on Folder D and remove the Administrators Group from the ACL.
Also very important: When you assign full access in Folder D the user can change the ACL on his files and thus can remove then Admin from the ACL of the files, but only if he has "full access" on the share level permissions !! So if you dont want your Users change permissions always use only "change" at share level permissions .

How do i add an attachment here? I don't have any options other than writing some text ?!?
You can upload images in your root-posting if you edit it. Then you can copy the code and paste it anywhere in the comments. I know this is ugly, but it will be changed in future updates of the forum.
ViRuSTriNiTy Feb 17, 2016 updated at 14:32:09 (UTC)
Goto Top
Yeah, the share is set to change permissions.

Currently i am trying to modify the permission setup to use groups instead of specific users (as you suggested)....but it doesn't work, it's so exhausting.

I have created a local group (Group A), added User X to it, replaced all User X entries with Group A in all permission dialogs accordingly and now...User X cannot access the share anymore. When i revert these changes and replace all Group A entries with User X again then it works like before.

What might be causing this? I suspect the local group. Maybe it cannot be used in connection with shares?
Solution 114757 Feb 17, 2016 updated at 15:16:26 (UTC)
Goto Top
What might be causing this? I suspect the local group.
I suppose you missed to logoff the user, otherwise he does not reflect the group membership changes in his security token!!
Maybe it cannot be used in connection with shares?
No, groups can be used face-smile , of course.
ViRuSTriNiTy Feb 17, 2016 at 15:02:40 (UTC)
Goto Top
I suppose you missed to logoff the user

Yes, in the meantime i found a MSDN link hinting to a logout when using groups. I also forgot to enable ABE - godzilla facepalm. It works now, yay. I award you the name lifesaver, thanks for your effort.
Solution 114757 Feb 17, 2016 updated at 15:38:13 (UTC)
Goto Top
Never mind face-smile

For the sake of completeness, please mark the thread as solved. Thank you.

jodel