tronix01
Goto Top

Restore Windows Server 2008 from USB HardDisk

hello everybody

our windows server 2008 r2 x64 Enterprise OS crash today. the server hdd is corrupt face-sad

so i took my server backup, which was created with the build in Server Feature "Windows Server-Backup" & stored to a usb hdd, and start trying restore the windows server 2008 backup from the usb hdd.

at first, i run the ws 2008 r2 installation dvd, click Repair Options and try to find my usb hdd. won't work!

as next, i load the driver for the usb hdd and try to see the usb hdd again. won't work! (i tried also with DrvLoad)

the funny thing is , that the driver are from the usb hdd himselfs. when i cklicked to load drivers... the Computer Dialog appaers and i could select my USB HDD and load the driver. but after that, no backup was listed/shown in the Backup Overview.

after a trying to load the backup over the network by a shared folder from a other server i give up and start to install the hole Windows Server 2008 r2 Enterprise x64 from the Installation-DVD. that was quit fast!

after that i installed the complete Feature for Windows Server-Backup and the driver for my usb HDD, reboot the server and start the Windows Server-Backup tool. all was looking good. the feature and the usb HDD was available for the OS.

imho i thought i was able to restore the backup from the usb hdd now, but it... won't work!

i can not choose my usb HDD for restoring my backup... but if i want create a new backup, i can select the usb HDD! that's funny, isn't it?

now i thought, maybe it doesn't work with usb HDD, so i was build in a usually HDD to my Server and copy my backup there.

but it's the same like with the usb HDD, it doesn't work. the new build in HDD is only selectable when i want to a create a new backup but no for the restore function.

so now i would like to know what can i do to restore my backup to my server.

thanks for any help!

Content-Key: 154810

Url: https://administrator.de/contentid/154810

Printed on: April 23, 2024 at 11:04 o'clock

Member: the-buccaneer
the-buccaneer Nov 10, 2010 at 21:29:44 (UTC)
Goto Top
hi tronix!

sounds bad...

did you follow exactly the steps on ms-technet?
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755163.aspx

what happens if you choose the "Use the latest available system image" option?
to me it sound like you can just specify a drive or folder or computer (restricted to workgroups) that contains the image and in the next step the available backups will be displayed by date.

honestly i never did a complete restore on ws2008, but my fear for that day has just grown a little...

der buc
Member: TuXHunt3R
TuXHunt3R Nov 10, 2010 at 21:44:29 (UTC)
Goto Top
Hi tronix

What kind of Harddisk is it? Is it an 3,5 Inch Harddisk in an external Case? Can you open the case of the external harddisk?
If the answer is yes, then open the case of the external harddisk, dismount the harddisk and connect the harddisk directly with your mainboard or raid-controller (via SATA or IDE). Then try to recover the image.

Greetings
TuXHunT3R
Member: tronix01
tronix01 Nov 11, 2010 at 08:04:05 (UTC)
Goto Top
@buc

i will have a look what's going on with this option.

i hope you are not right with your assumption because each other backup tool can restore from a USB HDD or other Volumes there are not known by the OS during the Backup.
my fault was not to make sure a real backup-scenario but i have already done a restore with the Windows Server Backup tool, but that was a long time ago.

it makes no sense to me that the Windows Server Backup tool can see my HDD drives when i want to create a new backup but if i want to restore a backup, there are only the cd/dvd drives available.

@TuXHunt3R,

thanks for your reply.

i have already tested with two kind of HDD.
the first one is a 2.5" USB 500GB HDD and the second is a build in 3.5" 1TB HDD.

Cheers everybody
tronix01
Member: tronix01
tronix01 Nov 11, 2010 at 14:56:10 (UTC)
Goto Top
okay i got it.

the windows server-backup tool needs his own specific created path for detecting a backup on a internal or external HDD.

for example: <Drive>:\WindowsImageBackup\<Computername>

all other savepaths for a backup will not recognized by the windows server-backup tool

hope this helps somebody

bye